To NaNoWriMo or to not NaNoWriMo

That is the question...
Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous word count expectations
Or to take my pen against a sea of manuscript pages
And by opposing NaNoWriMo edit them.

Okay, seriously.  I have one manuscript that is in the second draft/revisions/editing stage.  It doesn’t even have 50,000 words at the moment.  Not even 48,000 words.  It is, however, the longest manuscript that I have written and it took combining a planned trilogy to get it that long.  Book one was about 30,000 words and books 2 and 3 a combined 17,000+.  I started Keeping Secrets in 2009...

What does this mean? I'm not a 40,000+ writer.  I hate adding in additional action just to further a plot and add fluff just to pad a word count.

Not everyone can be novel writers.  I'm not. I'm a short story and novella writer. 

That also means very few of my books will be more that $4.99 an ebook.  (Print versions via createspace have to be more because of the resources.)

Why?

Because I'm the type of reader that remembers when print books were $3.99. Then $5.99.  $7.99.

I can remember when hardbacks did not cost$25 and I could buy 2 for that price. 

I want my readers to be able to buy more than one book.

I also want my readers to know that I'm giving it my best effort with the resources I have at hand.  I review, question, and do my best to craft my words and sentences. 

My dream is to write.  My dream is to not stress over word counts just so that I can reach a difficult goal (for myself) of 50,000 or 70,000 words.  I'll be happy with reaching my goal of getting near 30,000 words.

Although Half-Moon Manor is less than 28,000...

Week 1 of NaNoWriMo month will be in revisions and edits.
Week 2 - waiting impatiently on beta readers to read and finish.
Week 3 - publication
Week 4 - A break before I start an English Interim position where I don't know what I'm be teaching in December but in January I'll be teaching the Crucible. 

At some point I'll be working on finishing Into the Enchanted Forest - a story I've been working on for over a year. 

I have other things to do and write instead of tackling NaNoWriMo. It's just not to be this year...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - The Stolen Twin - Michelle Pariza Wacek

Book Review - The Girl Without Magic - Megan O'Russell

Free the Words! - The Impact of #Cockygate