Book Review - The Watchmaker's Daughter - C.J. Archer

Okay.  I'll admit it.  I absolutely judged this book by its cover.  At the time I was looking for a young adult steampunk read.  I was just in the mood for one. 

Sadly, this book wasn't released yet when I found it.   I was drawn in by that superb cover and terrific blurb. 

Add in the setting of London.  As per last week's blog, most of you recognize that I have a mild obsession over books that take place in England.  Or maybe their language and slang - much different than American slang.

Right.

This was my first C.J. Archer book.  I'd seen her Ministry of Curiosities series floating around, but never picked up a copy.  Big 
mistake. 

India Steele is desperate.  Her father has died, her ex-fiance has legally stolen her shop, and the other watchmakers won't have anything to do with her for some not-yet-explained reason.

That's why I hate series, but they seem to be so popular to write... Moving on.

Matthew Glass needs a watchmaker, but not just any watchmaker.  He needs the one that worked on his watch before.

After witnessing the scene between India and Eddie, he decides to hire India.  She can show him all of the watchmakers in the city. 

There's more too it than that.  We have an eclectic bunch of Americans that Matt has brought with him beginning with his cousin Willie (Wilemina), and friends Duke and Cyclops.  There's also his dementia ladden Aunt. 

But things aren't all lighthearted.  Matt is being followed by the American Outlaw known as The Dark Rider.

Steampunk. Magic. A blend of American and British.  The only thing wrong is that I have to wait for the next book...  Hurry up, C.J. Archer.

At least I have her Ministry of Curiosities series to keep me company until the next book is released. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - The Stolen Twin - Michelle Pariza Wacek

I am horrible at blogging.

Book Review - The Girl Without Magic - Megan O'Russell