Book Review - Once and For All - Sarah Dessen

I've allowed a backlog of unfinished reviews pull me under (along with the etsy shop blog and up-coming craft shows).

We all have that author.  The one you put on the top of your to-read pile as soon as you can get your hands on their next book.  
The one where you renew expired library cards for.  Stalk their social media and author website looking for new book updates.

Sarah Dessen is my young adult author of choice. 

Sarah Dessen is my writing inspiration.
I HIGHLY recommend her books.  All of them.

I first discovered her through a really old Mandy Moore movie - How to Deal - which was a combo of two Dessen novels.

Naturally I had to read them.

Then every single thing she had written.  (I did the same thing with John Green before The Fault In Our Stars was written.)

So now I wait and watch. 

The last two books I waited for.  I was busy.
Last week I headed to the library.  They had Saint Anything (next on the pile) and Once And For All was checked out.  Of course I reserved it and waited.  

It came in Tuesday and today I started reading.

Louna's mother is a wedding planner and Louna, a senior/high school graduate helps out.   Early on we get her background and that she is cynical about love. 

Until Ethan.  All you read is that they aren't together anymore and her best friend is trying to help her move on and become more social. 

Enter Ambrose.  Easily distracted ball of energy and charisma. 

Serious Louna doesn't like him.  Afterall he nearly ruined his mother's third marriage and won't leave her alone because he "hates it when he doesn't get what [he] wants."

But he does like her and helps her out of a jam with a groper.

And her mother did just hire him to work for her...

And then you find out what happened to Ethan...

Can Ambrose and Louna help each other? 

What will happen the summer after Louna's graduation?

So...would I recommend Once and For All? Certainly.  Just have your tissues handy or stuffed in your shirt. (Readers of this book will understand.)

Dessen handles this tough topic of moving on with a splendid hand, deftly intertwining the past (Louna's time with Ethan) with the present (Louna's time spent working with Ambrose).   Vague - yes, but I'm avoiding spoilers.  Her ability to tackle tough topics  (still not saying what this book's tough topic is) while mixing it up with the light-hearted comedic moments (wedding planning disasters anybody?) makes for an excellent portrait of life.

I read all 357 pages of my library book in one day, only putting it down to eat.  It's that worth the read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - The Stolen Twin - Michelle Pariza Wacek

Book Review - The Girl Without Magic - Megan O'Russell

Free the Words! - The Impact of #Cockygate