Book Review - I Am Amyara - Hannah Earl

I discovered a cache of promising indie/self-published authors while attending the FB Book Release Party of Megan O'Russell's latest book -  How I Magically.... The Tale of Bryant Adams (to be read and reviewed soon).

So many books captured my attention, one of which was I Am Amyara by Hannah Earl.  The premise caught it so  quickly I couldn't wait a couple of hours to see if I'd won the giveaway and went ahead and bought it! (I did win the giveaway, by the way,  which was surprising because I never win giveaways, but I'll get Book 2 instead of book one.

Female readers of the Percy Jackson series will enjoy this one.

We meet Sophia Pappas and her sister, Callidora, in the middle of a life-threatening car accident.  We don't know the cause until later, but this car accident plays a big role in Sophia's - and Callidora's - life.

Turns out Sophia is the daughter of the Greek God Eros! No, he isn't a chubby baby that shoots arrows at people; and he'll give you a Look if you tease him about it.

Sophia is able to heal herself, and later, her sister,  with the thought of healing. 

She is able to cause her cheating boyfriend's tongue to swell and his pee to burn with a mere wish.

And she does it without knowing she's a demigoddess.

With only a handful of months left until her 16th birthday, the car accident awakens Sophia's powers and loosens the magical binding her immortal father placed on her at birth. 

The immortal father that is supposed to be dead...

In the space of a car accident Sophia's life changes completely.


My review - 4.5 out of 5

Why?  To me the chapter breaks could be smoother and a few typos need addressing.  I really wish I'd kept a list for the author.

Otherwise, Hannah Earl kept true to a 15 year-old girl's tone, texting lingo, etc.  You could sense the eye roll from the girls every time an older pop culture reference was made...

But you could sense that Sophia and her BFF Buffy binge watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer one summer.  And that Sophia and Callidora might secretly have some New Kids on the Block on their guilty pleasures playlist thanks to their mom's influence.

Why you should read it:

Connor - the Junior guy seriously crushing on Sophia - You'll also discover why he's pulled towards the demigoddess.

Sophia coming to terms with her own life changes, discovering new powers, and getting exasperated with her father as he continues to try to protect her just a little bit longer. 

Buffy - the best BFF ever.  She even tells the cheating boyfriend's father that Trevor ( the CBF) had been cheating on Sophia!

The rest of the cast.

Because you like reimaginings and Greek Mythology.

And because this is a pretty good first offering for a self-published author. 

Once I started I couldn't put it down.

Alicia


https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0162R3BFA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_H4UPzbK3HQ3JH


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - The Stolen Twin - Michelle Pariza Wacek

Book Review - The Girl Without Magic - Megan O'Russell

Free the Words! - The Impact of #Cockygate