Writing Prompt - Magic in Everyday Occurrences

One of my friends was gifted this awesome 400 writing prompts book for Christmas.  Naturally, I needed it.

So his wife told me where I got it and I went to my local branch and looked all over the story for that book of 400 writing prompts.  I'd even settle for the book of 300 writing prompts.

But nope.  I had to settle for this one...



Whatever.  *shrugs shoulder*

'But,' the little voice in the back of my head challenged me, 'what if you use this book to help you with the plethora of stories you are struggling with?'

'And,' another voice agreed, 'you use them for your writing prompt blog posts...


The catch with these prompts:  there is only one page to write and there are a handful of words that must be added into the scene.  


For this scene I brought in Winnie from Half-Moon Manor.  I've been pondering her story for a while now, and she volunteered for the prompt. 

And now...

Magic in Everyday Occurrences


Winnie closed her eyes against the images captured on her touch screen phone.  Once hungry, she now stared at the almost completed hamburger steak as her appetite plummeted after seeing the - possibly staged - video about cows.  There was no way she could finish cooking, let alone eat, that beef now!

The doorbell ringing distracted her; it was probably one of the vendors for her cousin's new bed and breakfast.  Olivia and Henry hadn't officially opened the doors yet, but they still needed to get thing ready. 

"Coming," she mumbled, eying the construction litter scattered everywhere.  If Thomas Addams and his ever-present sweatband didn't clean up his mess soon, Winnie couldn't promise that she wouldn't use some Krav Maga on the man. 

Swinging the door wide, she stared, stunned, at the newcomer.  Leaving his signature on his delivery screen, Winnie barely heard him tell her what he was dropping off.  She didn't feel the aversion she normally felt at meeting new people. 

"Okay," the guy grinned as she handed the screen back to him.  "Where should I leave the lumber.  It looks like it's going to rain soon and my uncle insists that it not be left outside." 

"Your uncle?" the word nearly left her strangled as she attempted to get it out. 

"Yes," he nodded his head.  "My uncle Thomas Addams..." he trailed off as he followed her into the room that was currently under construction.  Taking in the state of the room, he gulped until a new smell reached his nose.  "Hey!  Is something burning!"

"My hamburger!"

---


How is this magical you ask?  Ever meet somebody that just left you stunned?  That it feels like that meet cute can't possibly be real?  That was what just happened to Winnie. 

Will this make it into Winnie's story?  I guess we'll both find out. 

Alicia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - The Stolen Twin - Michelle Pariza Wacek

Book Review - The Girl Without Magic - Megan O'Russell

Free the Words! - The Impact of #Cockygate