Book Review - The Ugly Step-Sister Strikes Back - Sariah Wilson


Okay, I might be getting my money's worth with this free Kindle Unlimited trial.  I most likely will continue with the service after the 17th.

I really didn't think about the fact I'm doing yet another retold fairy tale, but this book really didn't feel like a retold. 

The Ugly Step-Sister Strikes Back is a delightful take at the story from another perspective. 

Mattie has a complicated family history.  Her father is a famous artist who has been married 6 times!  The marriage from when she was two years old introduced her to her step-sister (also two) even though the marriage doesn't last very long.   When that former step-mother dies, her father invites Ella to live with them since they don't know who Ella's biological father is.

Ella, thankful, does everything she can to show her thanks.  She has a job so she doesn't spend Bill's - Mattie's father - money.  She does charity work.  She even cleans the house even though they have a housekeeper!

Her perfectness is what causes Mattie to back further away.

But to make matters worse, Ella is dating the guy Mattie has loved since she was nine!

Mattie, while faced with Ella's perfectness, withdraws.  She colors her hair vivid colors.  She wears dark colors.  She draws manga.  She hides herself while refusing to blend in...

She deals with her distant mother disparaging her.  She shrinks back as the class mean girl (and the boyfriend) make fun of her. 

This is not the Cinderella you grew up with.

It all changes when Mattie is assigned an English project with Jake. 

Definitely worth the read.   And the new edition features some chapters from Jake's point of view AND the first chapter from the sequel.

Now I just have to wait for the sequel...

The negatives... this book isn't without it's faults.  Most of these deal with the timeline.  There are times I wondered when exactly this story took place.  At first I thought it was at the beginning of the year.  Then I wondered if it was a few weeks in.   I don't know much about early admissions for college, but I'm thinking they are closer to November.  Also, in my experience, school government elections tend to take place at the end of the previous year. 

Aside from these issues, I still really enjoyed the story.  While I'd pop out of it for a minute, Wilson's writing brought me back in. 

Seriously, pick up your copy today.

Alicia 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - The Stolen Twin - Michelle Pariza Wacek

Book Review - The Girl Without Magic - Megan O'Russell

Free the Words! - The Impact of #Cockygate