Pen Names and Why I'm Using One

Wait?  I'm using a pen name?

Why yes, I am.

Why?

I had always planned on using a pen name.  In fact, I had one picked out years ago but I am unable to use that particular name because an ex-boyfriend just so happens to have that last name.  (So, if J stumbles onto this blog, no hard feelings, but you can keep your last name.)

Pen names are not easy to pick out.

First there are the reasons that you want/need a pen name.

1. Maybe it's job related.  I read so many articles and other peoples' blogs about how nobody really wants to know that their doctor is writing murder mysteries in their spare time and might know how to make murder on the operating table look as if it was an accident.  I know I don't.  Or how people in education (be honest, how many English teachers want to write books - I know I'm one, kind of) be it teachers or substitutes trying for teaching positions (myself included) want that pen name to distance themselves from their students for various reasons.

Sure, I'm not writing anything graphic, but that does not mean I want a student that I'm either teaching or subbing for interrupting class to ask if I could sign his/her copy of my book.  Not that it is likely to happen any time soon, but I'd rather keep classroom distractions and other issues related to being self-published/published to a minimum.

2. Maybe it's family reasons.  You could be writing something your family does not approve of or maybe they do not approve of writing fiction in general.  Who knows.  Thankfully, my family is supportive.

Maybe there are more reasons.  If so, feel free to discuss in the comments.

AJ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - The Stolen Twin - Michelle Pariza Wacek

Book Review - The Girl Without Magic - Megan O'Russell

Free the Words! - The Impact of #Cockygate