Book Review - Ben the Dragonborn - Dianne Astle

As all good indie authors we know it's a great idea to support each other.  
There's no telling what sells are supporting. Bills. Food. Children. Pets.
So you tweet and retweet and at some point buy the book.  Without returning it because indie authors know that every little sell means either 30 or 70 percent of profits and we don't have the marketing that traditional publishers can give authors.
At the same time we are hoping, wishing, to get discovered. That it will be one of our stories that hits it big and turns us into the next Amanda Hocking.
So, I bought the book of one of my best retweeters.  We often retweet the others book tweets and try to get the other new readers.
I haven't had a single conversation with this author, but I know I can rely on her when I need something spread. 
So, I sadly let her book sit on my kindle's carousel.  Which is crazy. I love dragons.  I started sculpting polymer clay because of dragons. That's better suited for my neglected crafting blog...
The only problem is that I'm not always fantasy driven despite many of my favorites being in the fantasy genre.  Despite writing some light fantasy myself.
As soon as I tapped on the book in my kindle I regretted my wait.  30 percent in one sitting. Then I was forced to put it down. 
A lot of things were pushed aside for several weeks. 
I was only reading for writing research purposes.
Then I picked it back up. 20 more percent and the amazement that time had passed quickly and I was being forced to put Ben the Dragonborn back down for sleep.  Pesky sleep - a necessary evil required for function and reading comprehension. Otherwise I'd probably been up until 2, 3 am immersed in Ben's adventure. 
In a world where there might not be enough boy books for the middle and freshmen aged reader, this book perfectly fits the need.  As a girl, I'd say don't knock it without trying it.  Dragons. Mermaids. Merpeople who can shift into mermaids or humans.  Yes, please.
The remaining 50% was read in one sitting. It's an easy read, but it makes you think about how people treat others who are different.  A lovely, subtle message for the intended audience.
If you don't like dragons, merpeople, and acceptance of others than don't read this book.  However, I can say that you'll be missing out.
Additional notes: There is a second book and I haven't researched ahead to see if there will be more.  I hope so. Ben and the Watcher of Zargon is now on my kindle wish list and it'll probably be great if we see his junior and senior years as well. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - The Stolen Twin - Michelle Pariza Wacek

I am horrible at blogging.

Book Review - The Girl Without Magic - Megan O'Russell