Book Review - Old Magic - Marianne Curley

Sometimes time catches up with you. 

I haven't finished a single new book this week.  Not a single one.  My intended review for this week is - according to my kindle - 36% read. 

That actually kind of disturbs me because sometimes reading, for me, is like breathing.  I need it. Like with writing or creating something out of jewelry findings or polymer clay.  The urge to read and create are fundamental urges for me; necessary for life. 

At 31 years old it might seem silly to be chasing a dream with very little financial stability, but there you have it. My dream is to write and I'm going to try it. 

Anyway, I first encountered this book when I was a junior or senior in high school (2001 or 2002 - it definitely wasn't 2003 because... well... I'll finish my story.)

I was in theater class (which was not taken my last semester of high school, thus the not 2003 part) and one of dear friends, at the time, surprised me by suggesting a book.  Old Magic.  She couldn't remember the author, but told me a tale of time-travel and magic and witches.  I stored this information in my head to be dealt with later.  I'd unwisely taken Advanced Algebra and Trig and was suffering/struggling through that decision.  I couldn't just focus on that one class because I needed my other classes to pull up my average so that I could stay on the Cross-Country and Track teams. 

It wasn't until after graduation that I found the book.  It was just sitting there on the shelves next to Sixteenth Summer and... okay, maybe not, but that's what those two books felt like they were doing. 

So among reading To Kill and Mockingbird - not read my freshman year - and Frankenstein - not read my senior year - I had picked up Old Magic.

This is a tale of time-travel and magic, witches and castles.  And a curse. 

"His name is Jarrod Thornton.  He has blond-red hair to his shoulders, nice clean skin, and green eyes like fiery emeralds; but this is not why I can't drag by eyes off him.  There's something else.  Something almost... disturbing.  It's this unearthly element that's got me hooked."

I ADORE this book.  I adore it so much I bought an e-book copy when I bought my first kindle.  This is the book that I'll bring out every so often to revisit with like a long-lost best friend. 

Not only do we experience parts of Australia, but we also time-travel to England. 

We follow 16-year old Kate as she struggles with her magic in a small-town.  (The villagers wonder if she is or isn't a witch like her grandmother and she suffers socially for it.  We read as she deals with her pull towards Jarrod and her reluctance to form relationships in high school.  (She doesn't want to become a single mother like her absentee mother and her grandmother.)  But we also watch her pull towards Jarrod and her becoming more of herself. 

We follow 16-year old Jarrod as he learns about his family curse and his own magic abilities.  We watch Jarrod grow from his clumsy awkwardness to confidant teenager. 

What happens when they travel back in time?  Will they be able to return? 

Read and find out.  It's a clean story and suitable for all ages. 

Even 31 year old adults. 

I think I need to go reread now.  After I finish my intended book for my next book blog review or course.

A

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - The Stolen Twin - Michelle Pariza Wacek

I am horrible at blogging.

Book Review - The Girl Without Magic - Megan O'Russell