Book Review - The Crown of Tremontane Series - Melissa McShane

I have a love-hate relationship with books that are a part of a series, despite writing one myself.

What if I've invested all this time and the last book sucks?  (I think many of you are thinking of a book series or two where you simply hated the endings.)

What if one of the books drags down the tone of the others? ( *coughs* See above parenthesed note.)

What if it take an extremely long period of time - I mean years - between a the previously released volume and the next installment?

That's why, as soon as I find out a book series isn't completed, I'll stop reading it.

Wait? What?

I stop reading, collecting each volume - with the possibility of checking the ending as I collect them - until all planned books are released.

I'm currently seriously doing that with at least 2 series that aren't quite mainstream but should be. I'm an indie author and I'm going to support them. 

The first book in the 'The Crown of Tremontane' series pulled me in. Princes and castles and libraries, yes please.  And I found it just weeks before the second book was going to be released. There were even a few short stories.  Yes, please.

Except I found out there was going to be a third book...

Each book deals with a generation.

Starting with Servant of the Crown - Anthony, Alison, and a poorly treated library - I was hooked.  I wanted to read everything Melissa McShane had listed.  I wanted her story only available to people who signed up for her newsletter - The View From Castle Always(BTW - worth it!)

I quickly grabbed a copy of the next book in the Crown series, Rider of the Crown, before I learned the disappointing truth.

There was going to be a third book...

Great. I have to wait months and hope that I don't lose interest.  All the Exile of the Crown short stories did was water my taste buds. 

So I did what any self-respecting bookworm does: I put down Rider.

Wait? What?

I put down Rider of the Crown at the 7% mark in order to wait.

Closer to the third books release I bought Exile of the Crown and read 3 of the 4 shorts. 

Then I got busy with writing, and writing research, and my grandmother.

This week I picked back up with Rider of the Crown and practically devoured it quicker than the first, barely taking time to put it down to eat and sleep - and Hell's Kitchen.  I was reading this book at the gym!  - That did make my workout easier after having to be off my knee for a week - 

I stayed up until 1 am, reading, and barely made it past the 50% point. 

You see, that's the difference between a book that has all of its installments already released and one you know you have weeks to finish.  For me,  I can get sucked in and thanks to the instant gratification of my kindle I can get the last book downloaded in seconds. 

I had some problems with the third book.  For me it moved so slowly, picking up in some places, then back to slow. It was a necessary evil; Telaine experiences many of these moments herself. But then it picked up and I had difficulty putting it down.  Especially when I finished my workout at the gym and was forced to stop reading.

Melissa McShane does an incredible job of world building.  You are drawn into the world of fantasy  (made-up lands), magic (with a hint of steampunk - The Devices, hello), and old and new mentalitys about morals and clothing.  Well worth the buys. 

Too bad there's a fourth book that hasn't been released yet. By the time I'd found that out I was already sucked back into the North family's saga.

Regardless, book 1 - Servant of the Crown -  is my favorite.  It deals with books and I'll most likely be reading it over and over again.

Check out her website and book list at melissamcshanewrites.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - The Stolen Twin - Michelle Pariza Wacek

Book Review - The Girl Without Magic - Megan O'Russell

Free the Words! - The Impact of #Cockygate