Writing Prompt #1

"On Wednesday's we wear pink."

Okay, okay.  Maybe not.  I only wear one pink shirt anyway. 

But, my love of alliteration causes me to want to say...

On Wednesday's we do writing prompts.    Fill free to share your own in the comments below.

*




You are standing at the altar waiting to marry the person of your dreams. The preacher says, “Should anyone here present know of any reason that this couple should not be joined in holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace.” You smile at your soon-to-be spouse, ready to get on with the vows. Suddenly—just like the movies—the chapel doors burst open. “I object!” You turn to see who dared to interrupt your day. It’s your ex. Finish the scene.

Post your response (500 words or fewer) in the comments below.

*

            It was everything I had ever dreamed about.  The blue flowers on the end of the pews were perfect.  I hadn’t wanted a church wedding, but my fiancé, now almost husband, had insisted.  He had said it was what his parents, more precisely his mother, would want. 
            It wasn’t what I wanted, but I was learning about compromise.  It was a vast difference from my ex-boyfriend.  Everything had to be his way or the highway.  With Jake we compromised. 
            His mother got the church wedding.  I got the color blue – she wanted green – and Jake got his superhero socked underneath his suit – she wanted plain black. 
            We both knew that his mother was going to be our biggest problem, but we hadn’t told her about Jake’s job transfer across the country either. 
            I never thought I would find Jake.  Not after the way my ex-boyfriend left he penniless; he’d cleaned out my bank account and stole my T.V. before vanishing without a trace.  I didn’t even get the closure of a verbal break-up. 
            But Jake found me through a mutual friend and was persistent in a way that nobody else had ever been.  At first it was for a date.  Then a second date.  A third.  Eventually it was for a commitment.  I was leery; how would I know that he wouldn’t leave me too?  Finally, after asking me to marry his six times, I said yes. 
It’ll all I can do to keep a straight face.  Every now and then a smile breaks though and I can see his mother’s disapproving visage from the corner of my eye.  She’d been adamant that we take the ceremony seriously.  I can’t take her advice seriously when Jake is grinning at me as if this was the happiest day of his life. 
Everything was perfect.  Was.
I remember it clearly.  The preacher said, “Should anyone here present know of any reason that this couple should not be joined in holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace.”
There’s nobody to object except his mother, and even she desires grandchildren that she can visit more than objecting to me.  That was our ultimatum – more on Jake’s end surprisingly – before we started with the compromises. 
We were about to move on to the vows, something that had Jake starting to bounce up and down on his toes, when he burst through the doors.  “I object!” Reed’s voice echoed through the room. 
It was a voice I’d never hoped to hear ever again, unless it was to return the ten thousand he’d stolen from me. 
            “I object!” he repeated.  “Sasha is already married to me!”
            Blinking, I looked at Jake.  There had been that trip to Vegas – Jake knew about that – But Reed had claimed to have already taken care of that.  We couldn’t find any trace of me still being married to Reed. 
            “Reed, we’re divorced.”
            “Married!” Jake’s mother shouted over me.
            “I just can’t live without you!” he shouted over the commotion. 
            “You just want my money!” I whispered, holding onto Jake’s hand.  “We should have just eloped.”   Groaning, I realized what I had just said. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - The Stolen Twin - Michelle Pariza Wacek

Book Review - The Girl Without Magic - Megan O'Russell

Free the Words! - The Impact of #Cockygate