Part 2 - Book Review - Unleashing Mr. Darcy - Teri Wilson

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single woman teetering on the verge of thirty is in want of a husband."

The book starts with a a parody of the famous line from the book this novel was inspired by.  And that's not a bad thing. 

Are all women in want of a husband at thirty? No. Especially not Elizabeth Scott. She's happy with her dog.

Men, especially wealthy men... well, I'll let Teri Wilson's words tell you.

"There was something about capturing the unwanted attention of a very powerful, very married man who couldn't take no for an answer that made her appreciate the unconditional love of her dog in an entirely new way. 
Dogs were loyal.
Dogs didn't get people fired.
Dogs understood the word no."

So, we have dogs - I love dogs even though I'm allergic to them,  so I settle for books with dogs - and then we have wealthy British men named Darcy. 

So, we have two aspects of this book that I adore. We get parts of Donavan Darcy's POV and the American Elizabeth Scott goes to England.

The male POV can be troublesome for female writers. Austen never gave us Darcy's thoughts because she had trouble writing the male POV.  The BBC 1993 P&P version gave us some of that Darcy insight that the book lacked. 

This novel addresses the issue that I had with the movie through the well-crafted Darcy scenes. Bravo. This hopeless romantic whole-heartedly approves. I just wish there had been a few more of them.  

Just a few things.  This is not a young adult book and it is not a clean romance. That aside, it is a very good P&P variation and well worth the less than 24 hours it took me to read it.  4.5 stars.

As for a comparison to the movie... Both are good in their own rights.  The book addressed the part of the movie I wasn't happy with, but the movie demonstrated the dog show terms.  While both different - locations, character significances and names, events - they both hold aspects of P&P that any fan should appreciate. 

I'll be adding more of Teri Wilson's booklist to my read pile. 

So, fellow readers, what should I read and review next?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - The Stolen Twin - Michelle Pariza Wacek

Book Review - The Girl Without Magic - Megan O'Russell

Free the Words! - The Impact of #Cockygate